cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:53:37 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
>> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
>> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
>> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application.
>> For more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf"
>> post [1].
>> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
>> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
>> proposed by Carsten [2].
>> Please cast your votes.
> +1.
> For the record, I briefly thought that this could be implemented using
> XInclude and XPointer.  However, I think your proposal is more
> appropriate.

Well, for the basic case, we can consider that <import src=""> is
equivalent to <xi:include href="">.

However, I don't think XPointer is needed here as it doesn't really make
sense to include part of an external file, and it will also prevent
globbing (i.e. src="*.xconf") as it isn't par of the XPointer spec.