cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Component confs per sitemap [was: [RT]]
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:24:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Honestly, I consider the requirement to explicitely declare
>>the roles files that are present in jar files "TMC" (too much
>>complexity) ;-) or more precisely it requires users to know
>>things about the Cocoon internals that they shouldn't really
>>have to care about (and that they don't care about today).
>>

>:) Now, I don't call this TMM, either - it just seems that everytime
>*I* propose these things, everyone else calls it TMM :(
>
>Anyways, I see a potential problem with this: as soon as you drop
>a jar file into Cocoon with a file that *looks like* a cocoon roles
>file, this is tried to be used which might result in errors etc.
>So I think in this case, explicitly using role files is easier.

Can you elaborate on "looks like"? If we load the roles files from the
classpath, this means we define a naming contract for these files, e.g.
either org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.roles as of today or
META-INF/services/org.apache.cocoon.core.RoleManager.

So files that "look like" roles file are very likely to be actual role
files and nothing else :-)

>It is correct that currrently users don't care about the roles file
>and in fact we don't really need it. Today we have many components
>in the cocoon.xconf where their role is not defined in the roles file.

Yep. Lazyness of block developpers that haven't provided roles for their
block ;-)

>On the other hand, I tend to agree with you, that you would rarely
>need to use a roles file on a per sitemap base. I currently see use
>cases for this like the portal where you get a complete template
>application, including a template sitemap etc. And the portal
>uses it's own roles file, so the template sitemap already contains
>a reference to the roles file contained in the portals.jar.

I see your point, but again, if the roles file is in portals.jar, what
prevents it to be loaded automatically?

Sylvain