cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Orbeon vs Cocoon? - Live version available?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:23:04 GMT
H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:

>Hi Bertrand,
>
>I've looked at their site a few days ago and saw something mentioned about
>their code being open source. Haven't looked at it further (yet).
>
>I can't help but mention that the documentation on their website looks much
>better and much more coherent than Cocoon. So this is a challenge: to get
>our documentation up to speed.

Agree.

>What I do like as well, and this might be
>easier (as in quicker) to accomplish is the fact that they have live samples
>on their website.

FYI, in their live site, they have a section that allows visitors to
type in some XSLT. As I'm a curious person, I wanted to see if/how they
protected themselves from malicious code in the XSLT. So I added a
simple call to System.exit() and... crashed their whole website!!!

As I did not expected such a result, I promptly sent them an email with
my apologizes, and they told me they would close that door. Maybe they
finally forgot to?

>I often want to have a quick look at the samples, but since I've set up my
>project along the YourCocoonProjectAnt16 instructions, my "distro" is as
>lean as possible and lacking all samples. That would mean I need a second
>build for the entire distribution.
>
>It would be nice if there was a place where the latest release would be
>running, so everyone could check it out. I know this requires cleaning up
>the crap that some people think they should enter, but that might be done
>through some simple scripts.
>
>It would also give future users the change to have a look at Cocoon before
>doing the actual download. And newbies can verify if they have done things
>correctly because they can compare their own version with "THE" live
>version.
>
>I know server hosting will be a problem, but maybe it's running somewhere
>already which could be made available to "the world"?

Googling for "welcome to apache cocoon" shows quite a few ones :-)

Seriously, that's true that we should be have a live showcase of the
latest release. This has been discussed a while ago in relation with the
VMWare installation here at Apache, but as Bertrand, I don't have any
further info on this.

For those who can read french, there has been a discussion a few weeks
ago on a list dedicated to the development of the XMLfr.org website [1].
Some experiments have been made to migrate it to Cocoon (it's currently
based on a servlet + the XT xslt processor) and OXF has been studied
also. An interesting discussion happended then between Erik Bruchez, one
of OXF's devs and myself.

Sylvain

[1] http://xmlfr.org/communautes/dev/listes/dev/2004/09/date.html