cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Stocker <chr...@bitflux.ch>
Subject Re: Templating: experiments with Conal's html-to-xslt transform
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:14:12 GMT

On 11.12.2004 18:37 Uhr, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Christian Stocker wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned before (to one of stefano's posts), we did something
>> similar, but with the TAL syntax. We convert that to XSLT with XSLT
>> and then do the actual transformation with XSLT. It's the same idea as
>> yours. I like the approach, even though it's not complete yet (our
>> implementation) and we could certainly add some of your ideas.
>>
>> Here's the XSLT
>>
>> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/public/popoon/trunk/components/transformers/xsltal/tal2xslt.xsl

>> and here's simplel template
>> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/public/bxcmsdemo/themes/bxcms/template.tal
>>
>> I don't say, our approach is better than yours, I didn't build an
>> opinion on that. But maybe we could join efforts in it. As it's a pure
>> XSLT implementation, the programming language behind doesn't really
>> matter.
>

> and to take this one step further, what would it take to make these
> templates editable in BXE? being able to make layout changes inside the
> lenya GUI, say, would rock.

The templates are XML, so in principle, no problem for BXE. If it's
attribute driven, even less.

What would really rock is some templating-enhanced mode. Not sure, what
that should include, but maybe some straightforward
adding-template-attributes stuff or real-time transformation to see the
actual result or Build-My-XPath wizards or whatever.

Btw, I didn't find the time to compare TAL with Conal's approach, but I
should have some time tomorrow to do that and build an opinion on my own..

chregu

--
christian stocker | Bitflux GmbH | schoeneggstrasse 5 | ch-8004 zurich
phone +41 1 240 56 70 | mobile +41 76 561 88 60  | fax +41 1 240 56 71