cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JXTemplateGenerator
Date Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:40:30 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> It's not personal, Bertrand. If someone does good work or makes a valid
> point I will give them proper respect. If not, well, I'm not teaching
> grade school and it's not my job to sugar coat it.

Really? Wasn't that you that disliked the way Pierpaolo and myself
avoided the sugar coating when we criticized the FOM design?

Again, you fail to understand that what appears to be "pointless
refactoring" for you might well be what turns a sandboxed one-man-show
proposal into the official community-supported cocoon template system.

For this to happen, ego and code ownership must be set aside and all
points of views respectfully debated, especially during brainstorming
sessions as the one we are experiencing.

William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White, in their book "The Elements of
Style" (New York, 1959) [page 70] write:

"No one can write decently who is distrustful of the reader's
intelligence, or whose attitude is patronizing".

Let's face it: your code is dense as a neutron star and dense of
comments and tests as the the outter space around one. Your respect/care
for the complexity of the social dynamics that originate around it is
close to zero.

The avalon project was taken over by people like you, that considered
"consensus by friction" a better way to achieve progress and reduce the
noisy babbage of social interaction with "inferior" talents.

Result: social entropy expansion that lead to thermal death.

Technical problems are way more trivial to solve than social ones. I
personally feel sad for the dry world of those who consider the first
more important than the second.

Given that the template system is the contract between skilled
programmers and unskilled ones, social problems will have to be taken
into consideration way more than technical ones.

Everybody here welcomes contributions, not matter how silly, not matter
how technologically savvy, now matter how outrageous and no matter how
sinful and ranting.

But respect for your peers is key.

Without that, any voice, no matter whose, becomes immediately silent, if
not distracting and harmful.

And yes, I have committed this crime myself (and not only here) but it
always brought me harm, cold and isolation.

A big price to pay for a little ego self-massaging.

--
Stefano.