cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue with cocoon views -- Using views to debug not really possible?
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:38:52 GMT
Thomas Alexnat wrote:

> Dear Sylvain,
>
> thank you for your help. I have tested your idea, with a simple
> content aggregation and both variants do not show the correct xml tree:
>
> <map:aggregate element="categoryindexpage">
>    <map:part src="cocoon:/getXMLContentA"/>
>    <map:part src="cocoon:/getXMLContentB"/>
> </map:aggregate>
>
> or
>
> <map:aggregate element="categoryindexpage">
>    <map:part src="cocoon:raw:/getXMLContentA"/>
>    <map:part src="cocoon:raw:/getXMLContentB"/>
> </map:aggregate>
>
> are resulting in a corrupt XML tree after calling them with the
> default pretty-print view. As expected, the pretty-view gets
> pretty-printed...

Ok, so "cocoon:raw" behaves exaclty as the regular "cocoon:" regarding
views.

> QUESTION
> --------
> What could be the best practice, if I want to look at the XML of a
> certain pipeline, before its transformation is being called? All I
> need is a good debugger view for any matcher. I am just wondering why
> nobody else had this same issue before...

The answer with the current view handling is to only use view with
"final" pipelines, i.e. ones that don't rely on "cocoon:" URLs.

Now the question is what behaviour is to be considered "correct"
regarding views and internal pipeline calls. Should we consider that
view should be taken into account only for external requests?

What do people think?

Sylvain

PS: Thomas, no need to cc me privately, I'm a careful reader of this
list, especially follow-ups to my posts.