cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: [cforms] Repeater and large collections
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:43:08 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Suppose you have a repeater that is bound to a potentially very large
> collection of objects (e.g. a list with 8000 objects) provided by an
> O/R-mapper.
> First, it is not a good idea to show all 8000 rows on one page. Some
> kind of paginating functionality is needed. Does anyone have a working
> "paging" solution?
I am doing pagination but use CForms only for handling actions and
buttons. I do not render rows with a repeater. It is implemented by a
set of jx macros. The control allows for following:

- display a set of rows
- display navigation (first, prev, next, last)
- control the number of rows displayed
- seek to a specified page
- filter the results with cforms widgets

> Second, I don't want to bind, let's say 10000 objects (means copying
> 10000 objects!) to a repeater, though the user should have the
> possibility to edit all rows.
>
> I can think of
>
> a) Don't use cForms for the table. Each row has an "edit" button and
> after clicking it, a new page that only shows a single object opens.
>
>  + use lazy loading features of O/R mapping tool
>    --> low memory consumption
>  - works around the cForms framework
>    --> how to implement "mass operations" like deleting a group of objects?
each row having a checkbox and a delete action. Would have to fetch ids
to delete by yourself (out of CForms).