cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject [Templates] Summary and Voting aspects (was: [RT] Attribute Driven Templates)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:18:44 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Just a reminder; before you guys start implementing one or another
> template language, could we have [VOTE] for one of the variants, have
> [PROPOSAL], or at least [SUMMARY]? :)

We are discussing several tasks:

1) Refactoring of JXTG so that that it becomes easier to support and so
that some parts become reusable
2) Possibly designing a new version (2.0 maybe) of JXTG. Where some
sugestions has been: removing formating and placing it in a separate
layer, removing side effects, allowing (or forbiding ;) ) collections of
externaly defined tags written in Java.
3) An attribute driven template language, mainly for simplifying for
those using Dreamweaver and similar in their development, but there is
also a hope that such a template language could be less verbose and
easier to read.

My hope is that these three tasks can share most of the code and lead to
some new strcitly defined contracts between parts. But that is something
that we will see when the work continues.

I wrote some Wiki pages (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Templates) with
some kind of overview, and liks to mail discussions. I also wikified my
design proposals, so that they can evolve based on our discussions.
Everyone is welcome in keeping them up to date and adding their comments
or proposals.

Refactoring JXTG
================

For 1), the back compabillity preserving refactoring of JXTG. I cannot
see any need for voting about this. Either it gains community support in
terms of that people joins in design, implementation and testing, or it
don't. And in that case we just remove it. Then if the new refactored
implementation should replace the current one and get "oficial status",
thats certainly something to vote about. Also if we develop some new
interfaces e.g. for ELs or formaters that we feel that should be made
part of core, it will also be something that should be handled by
proposals and votes.

I can assure you that I have no urge to implement everything myself at
all (as some of you might have noticed I enjoy design descussions and
proposals more than implementing stuff ;) ), I will continue to strive
for community involvment. And I will write a proposal about how to
continue the refactoring as soon as I find time.

Next Generation JXTG
====================

This is about how we should continue our development of the template
language beyond JXTG 1.0. It is purely at the RT stage, no concrete
design proposals yet. Later there might be proposals in form of
documents or proof of concept implementations. But that is a later question.

Attribute Driven Templating

This is ongoing discussions. My hope is that we can design the template
engine in such a way that the synatx handling part is plugable so that
attribute and tag driven templates (JXTG) can coexist, (although not in
the same document ;) ). But that is a technical quiestion IMO. Anyway,
we need to discuss the consequences of dirrerent syntaxes a little bit
more before implementing anything.

HTH

/Daniel