cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just say yes!)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:32:04 GMT
Glen Ezkovich wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>

>> Yeah, cocoon-dev has gone crazy during the week-end :-)
>>
>>> more than one EL per template is clear FS to me. I'd be in favor of
>>> specifying EL at the TemplateGenerator declaration time, and would
>>> not go more granular than this.
>>

>> I don't agree: it happens quite often to have mixed view data
>> combining java objects and XML.
>

> Hmmm... why does this happen? It seems that the java could be injected
> by by one component and the XML by another.

Not always, e.g. when you have an XML document and objects describing
its metadata which are both managed by a flowscript.

>> In that case, a single EL is just painful. Furthermore, specifying
>> the language in the component declaration doesn't help readability
>> nor reuse of templates between projects.
>

> Readability of what, the sitemap or the template.

Reusability of the template, since you don't know just by reading the
template source file what EL was used to write it.

> Frankly, while it adds complexity to the sitemap, it only does so for
> template generators/transformers. I think understandability will be
> more affected by naming choices then the configuration complexity.
> Only needing to interpret a single EL in a template undoubtedly
> improves readability. Imagine me writing this using french, polish and
> english phrases randomly interspersed.

Well, if you omit polish, this is no problem for me :-)

And if each phrase is prefixes with the language name, making the mental
switch between ELs (or realizing that I must learn polish) is not a problem.

> I don't see how this affects reusability.

Yes it does, since moving templates around require to be sure that the
component they're processed with is configured for the right expression
language.

Sylvain