cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just say yes!)
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:52:25 GMT
peter royal wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>>> With that said, a usable taglib-driven system already exists. Jelly.
>>> If you need taglibs, go with that. No need to re-invent something
>>> different in cocoon.
>>

>> Both I and Carsten have tried to use Jelly in Cocoon but the fit isn't
>> that good. See our posts in
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=109932680200001&r=1&w=2.
>

> Ah, I missed that thread :)
>
> I have Jelly working pretty well in Cocoon. You can modify the
> JellyContext to take a Source object and use that to create the
> template. And the templates are thread-safe, its just that each template
> invocation will require a new JellyContext object.
>
> There are a few edges where usages of URL could be replaced with Source,
> but not that many.
>
> The implementation is just a few adapter classes and works great! I'm
> happy to share with anyone interested in pursuing this further.
> -pete
Thanks for your offer, but I've joined the NIH camp, so its to late for
me ;) Furthermore, Jelly doesn't seem like such an active project
anymore. The script compilation is just a part of the project, factoring
out and solidifying contracts for expression handling and other stuff is
at least as important. To me it just didn't seem worthwhile enough to
fight with Jelly's interfaces and implementation to get it to do what I
wanted.

And it also takes time and engagement to convince another community
about adopting your suggestions. I mean its hard enough for me in the
Cocoon community ;) And also you know what we Cocooners think about
basing our core stuff on others code ;)

/Daniel