cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Driven Templates
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:49:27 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>> I like this idea very much. It would be a shame if the quirks of
>>> Dreamweaver should force everyone to use an awkward syntax.
>> The attribute driven synatax is new to me so I don't know if I find it
>> awkward or not, I'll need to see some larger examples. Anyway, we have
>> a user community (and our own webbaps) to think about, we cannot
>> change dirrection at every whim. We must support JXTG for the
>> forseable future so I would prefer if we could allow both syntaxes.
>> Now, it will be interesting to see how long time it will take before
>> someone explains that: this is FS we only need to support one syntax,
>> namely the obviously optimal one, and those who believe that they need
>> the other one are generally less knowing and doesn't understand their
>> own best ;)
> I know you are looking at me :-) but interestingly enough, my FS alarm
> didn't go off.
> I really think that it makes sense to have two different syntaxes, one
> that uses elements and another one that uses attributes.

Yes, I think we need both ways. *I* prefer the element style because for me
expresions like

   Ex Text

are close to be unreadable - I have the feeling of looking at a regular
expression (and this is _not_ a good feeling)

But the Dreamweaver usecase is a valid one (It was me who started a discussion
about this in May after attenting a Tapestry seminar at a conference) and so we
should support it.

> Now, having them cohexist in the page smells like FS, though ;-)

Can't agree more.

View raw message