cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just my opinion)
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 05:42:49 GMT
Roy G. Biv wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> No, I disagree: there is a place for generation and there is a place
>> for transformation. They are different things and both have a reason
>> to exist.
>

> I see where the statement comes from, but doesn't processing begin by
> the data injection.

Why would it begin with loading the template?  The process begins with
the controller accessing the model and then making a determination of
what to do next. It might need to go back to the model to obtain another
piiece of information to display an alternate screen before displaying
the one it collected the inital data for, for example.

The template should only be accessed when the data is ready to be
manipulated, not before.

> With XSLT/STX, the stylesheet is the manipulative/transformative
> vector.  With a flow template transformer, it's the flow object
> model.  With the i18n transformer, it's the l10n catalog(s).

I don't understand this. With these examples the
"manipulative/ransformative vector" is the template, not the object
model. That is what is being operated upon. All of the above are
transformers and the all operate the same way; they are fed SAX events
and output SAX events based upon the XSLT Stylesheet, the template, or
the I18n elements.

> Your dividing line seems somewhat arbitrary.  What am I missing?

I don't think it is arbitrary at all.

Ralph