cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just my opinion)
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 05:06:19 GMT
Glen Ezkovich wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 3 déc. 04, à 21:40, Glen Ezkovich a écrit :
>>
>>> ...I'm not sure I agree that templates as being part of the view. I
>>> look at them more as providing XML structure to the data....
>>

>> We need both actually - if you work with the "two-step view" pattern
>> (which is very natural with Cocoon), you need a first set of templates
>> to generate XML out of your data, and a second set to transform the
>> XML into the final presentation format.
>>
>> Currently we have JXTG for the first step, and mostly XSLT for the
>> second. Having something that could cover both steps and be usable by
>> either programmers working on the first step or designers working on
>> the second would be a Really Good Thing.
>

> I'm not really sure what you mean by having something that could cover
> both steps. JXTG covers both steps in the sense that many people are
> using it to inject their data into their html.  Now, to have a template
> transformer, that is something with which I would really like to play.
> I'm not very found of XSL. A simpler alternative could be a Really,
> Really Good Thing.

we are *NOT* trying to redesign XSLT, nor we are trying to solve the
problem of creating a more friendly and scriptable SAX transformer then
the XSLT/STX family.

That is a very interesting problem, but a huge one nevertheless.

Let's start with the generator stage first: we'll attack the transformer
stage after we are done with this one :-)

--
Stefano.