cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] do me a favor, don't call them taglibs (TAL-like two-step templating?)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:14:11 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
<snip/>
> I think we need
>
> a) "data templates" (for a lack of a better word), to generate XML out
> of data (what JXTG does now),
>
> and
>
> b) "presentation templates" downstream to convert the XML to HTML or
> other presentation markup (currently covered by XSLT, far from ideal)
>
>  - oo -
>
> For a), JXTG does a good job currently, but having a single mechanism
> for both would make a big difference in the number of things that people
> have to learn to be productive with Cocoon.
>
> For b), being dreamweaver-compatible would be a big plus, allowing less
> technical people to create templates themselves. Using Dreamweaver or
> not, that's not the point: DW-compatibility also means that the
> templating system is "simple enough" for such people to grasp.

b) would be nice but it is quite complicated to implement in an
efficient way. One can of course stream the transformer input to a DOM
tree that is made available in the context object and then let a JXTG
like script work on that. But the question is if we would be happy wih
the performance. Otherwise we would need to build a more light weight
tree representation of XML and write adapters to it so that it work with
an XPath processor, Jaxen e.g. Or maybe there are light weight XML tree
implementations that we could reuse.

>  - oo -
>
> To me, TAL's design looks simple for simple things, yet powerful and
> extensible.  Looks like an example to follow, maybe even like a spec to
> adopt instead of reinventing it..
Didn't like the Phyton syntax, but we can certainly find some good ideas
from it.

/Daniel