cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just say no!)
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:45:59 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip/>

> What I want is something like this:
>
>  - request comes
>  - sitemap gets it
>  - matcher matches
>  - controller is executed and populates beans in the request context
>  - pipeline is invoqued with access to the request context
>  - response goes
>
> Now, this can happen right now in flow and JXtemplate. If we don't
> need state management, this is just like having a better action model
> with XSP-like code recompilation.
>
> But the whole point of this discussion is: do we need taglibs?
>
> I'm sorry, but I agree with Miles, we don't: all we need is a
> velocity/garbage-like template system and recompilable java controllers.
>
> Everything else is making a step backwards.

Stefano, for those that skipped taglibs in their path to Cocoon (e.g
me!), can you explain what you don't like about them? I presume you're
okay with a jxtemplate like syntax, but what you don't like is the fact
that I can write my own taglib, thus hiding logic not in my controller,
but in a taglib class somewhere. Is that it? Presumably, you wouldn't
also be against, for example, implementing the FormsTransformer as a
part of a templating system? i.e. having the template put the widget
values straight into the SAX stream.

Have I understood, or are you getting at something else?

Regards, Upayavira