cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New structure of Cocoon documentation and doc repositories
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:19:36 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> [snip]
> >We already do have a separate repository for that (A):
> >http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/
> >It already contains the sources for "project" and "community" stuff
>
> sorry, overlooked this
>
> >as well as all of the "generated" documentation for both the top-level
> >and the version-specific docs.
>
> is it still Apache-wide policy to have the generated docs into a repository?

Yes.

> Wouldn't be a script that generates the whole documentation on one of the
> Apache
> machines and publishes it, do the same?

Here we go again. Yes, and there are plans to do that. However,
it takes human beings to get motivated. Setting up a test
system (either Forrestbot or Cocoon or both) on brutus
managed by Apache Gump project) is the next step. I have asked
a couple of time for access there - need another ping.

> >Some other documentation could be separated out from the
> >version-specific documentation. For example, some of the "concepts"
> >docs at /userdocs/concepts/* could move up to the top-level.
> >However one trouble with doing that, is that then people would
> >not have all of the documentation available locally at
> >localhost:8888/docs
>
> I wouldn't do this. I think it should be easily reachable by a top-level
> tab,
> but the content should come from the latest "manual" as our concepts
> slightly
> change over time.

Yes, i was going through the possibilities. You are correct.

> >Regarding (B). The "latest" should be the current "release", i.e.
> >currently 2.1 branch. The "trunk" 2.2 docs should certainly be
> >available as well.
>
> My "new docs" efforts aim at Cocoon 2.2 but should work with 2.1 too. It
> should
> only require some changes in the tabs.xml of 2.1-repository.

I look forward to seeing that.

[snipped the rest, as i gotta go out tonight, will answer later]

--David