cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: [RT] do me a favor, don't call them taglibs (Please describe DreamWeaver)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:16:55 GMT
On Sunday 05 December 2004 02:00, Tim Larson wrote:

> Perhaps I am not the only person on this list that has never
> used DreamWeaver...

DreamWeaver is loved by many page designers as it manages the various
resources and on-page placements "well" (seen from the eye of the designer).

The concept is basically like this;
Let the page designer use whatever tool he want, to create a rough mock-up of
the page with just placeholders for the dynamic data.

Give those to the web developer, and he inserts the hidden attributes required
to make the dynamic part work. Then the page designer can continue to refine
the design in his favourite tool, for instance DreamWeaver, while the
programming effort continues in parallel.

I don't think DreamWeaver is any better or any worse than other tools
regarding "unknown" elements. AFAIU, you can have special tags in the HTML
and DW will preserve them, but they will show up as ugly icons, disrupting
the overall look. <span> and <div> elements is containing the mock-data
within them, which will display as expected, and just be 'dynamic' in the
live case.

We occasionally use Tapestry for this type of work flow and it works pretty
well. For one thing, it is just about impossible to get the artist to learn
XSLT, HTML and CSS... let people do what they are good at.

  /       /
 / /

View raw message