cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Growing, overall consistency and deprecation (was Re: Janino, an embedded java compiler)
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:16:53 GMT
On Friday 03 December 2004 23:22, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip />

Well put.

> Maybe we should be less shy to deprecate things. But the problem is that
> deprecation means future deletion, which also scares people as it
> doesn't give the image of something stable. Maybe some "mainstream-ness"
> classification would allow people new to Cocoon to more easily find
> their way into the system, while still giving the necessary code and
> documentation to people having "legacy" Cocoon applications.

Yes that sounds very reasonable.
<warning type="analogy" >
"Not recommended for new designs" it is called in the electronics industry.
That means that the part is manufactured, but there are better and cheaper
ones around, and by natural selection the part will be of no demand in long
enough time. When the demand is low enough, a final production run is made
(deprecation) and all customers are informed, and can order any quantity for
their own stock keeping for spare parts or whatever.
</warning>

So, back to Cocoon; If you have a system where you can mark "not recommended
for new designs", and then at the point of deprecation that 'part' could
moved out of the standard dist, docs, discussion sphere, you are better set
for a graceful end-of-life.

Mind you, these are non-urgent stuff, and I guess really noone's itch.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.dpml.net       /