cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Janino, an embedded java compiler
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:00:56 GMT
On Friday 03 December 2004 21:20, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> The list of possible uses cases [3] is quite impressive:
> - the expression evaluator can be used... ahem... as yet another EL for
> our template engine :-)
> - the script evaluator can be used for CForms event handlers
> - the class body evaluator can be used to write JS-like code for
> flowscript (we don't need a class name, but just methods)
> - it provides a compiling classloader.

Once upon a time, the founders of Cocoon taught me about FS, and I am getting
the feeling that it has been slowly creeping into Cocoon for so long now,
that one can't see the forest for all the trees ;o)

Honestly, how many *users* of Cocoon manages to keep up with the ever longer
list of so called features, many doing the same thing in different ways? I
don't, otoh, I don't do a lot in Cocoon (helping out on a couple of small
sites) but I try follow the dev@ list since the start in 99(?).

IMVHO, Cocoon needs to reduce features, not add them. Boil down to a nice core
that works, and then create a couple of subprojects for 'work styles'.

I think the barrier of entry to Cocoon is ever-growing, and I have heard a
couple of times from friends; "It is too complex." Before protests about the
modularity and that you can start small, I want to this is "impressions" and
"first impressions", they last...
In marketing terms, Cocoon right now is somewhat vulnerable to competition
that nails down the *need* of the users and delivers it in an easy to
comprehend package.

My two cents to the recent set of proposals to extend Cocoon even further.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.dpml.net       /