cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The danger of overseparating concerns (was Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just my opinion))
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:09:56 GMT
Le 4 déc. 04, à 19:24, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

<snip interesting experiences/>

> ...Of course, this is related to our organisation where template
> writers have more a developer background.

Right. And the problem now is that there is no simple way for people to
move from "designer-friendly" environments to Cocoon-based publishing
in small steps. They have to do a big jump, where many probably fall on
their face ;-)

> ...The conclusion of this is that we must be careful of not
> overseparating concerns, as it may actually require more work without
> real architectural benefit...

Agreed. OTOH your view is very html-centric IIUC. In situations where
multi-channel output (web, mobile, print for example) is required, a
two-step view brings many benefits. But you're right that in such case
the first step is rarely pure XML, it's often biased towards the most
common/preferred output format.

-Bertrand