cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is the SourceValidity isValid( SourceValidity newValidity ) method needed?
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:55:49 GMT
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:45:42 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler
<cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>

> > I'm currently reworking our system to add finer grained cache
> > normalization and I'm a tad confused as to exactly how Cocoon
> > checks cache validity.  In particular, as the subject line
> > says, I can't see why the SourceValidity class needs the
> > capability to check against a new SourceValidity?

<snip/>

> This method is required if the source validity can't tell by
> itself if it is still valid. For example, if the source
> validity stores a last modification date of a file (an http
> request etc.), it can't tell by itself if the resource has
> changed. In this case the new (current) last modification
> date is required and the implementation of the source validity
> would check if they are the same or not.
> We used to use this for our file based validities for example,
> until someone had the clever idea to store the file object
> into the source validity. But if you would only store the
> last modification date, you need this method.

I'm still confused:

1) Why can't the validity itself figure out whatever it needs to know.
 Eg, go look at the file to see if has been modified?

2) Who generates the new source validity for the second check?  I
can't see how sequence of methods would be actually invoked...

Storing all the knowledge the validity needs to determine validity
within the validity itself seems like the only thing that makes sense?

> So, in the general this method is imho needed ;)

I'll take your word for it, perhaps the real question is, if I'm
implementing a caching generator what do I really need to worry about?

--
Peter Hunsberger