cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:58:41 GMT
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> A thread pool consists of:
>> - max. # of threads that run simultaneously
>> - a possible queue to stack up ready to run Runnables
>>
>> If you have a lot of short living Runnables at low priority (logically)
>> you'd prefere to have a thread pool with only a few threads ready but a
>> large queue. If you have some long running jobs to be done you'd like to
>> have a pool of many threads. Thread pools is the way to balance "work to
>> be done" with "resources needed for".
>
> Ok, go ahead. It just means that users of BackgroundManager (such as include
> transfomer) should have thread pool name configurable. Probably we could
> supply two thread pools, one for request processing, and one for system
> tasks.

I decided to have a "default thread pool" in any case (even if
BackgroundManager has no configuration) named "default" (and thus can be
overwritten by configuration but the BackgroundManager ensures it has the
required minumum set). This pool should satisfy the "usual" work.

> And still, there should be a way to configure thread pools' priority - as
> part of BackgroundManager configuration, I assume.

Yes, there will be.

I'll commit the first draft in an hours or two into trunk for review (just
the package, nothing else changed so far). I dicided to call the package

org.apache.cocoon.components.thread

and the main interface RunnableManager (instead of BackgroundManager)

Any better names for package and interface are welcome :-)

--
Giacomo Pati