cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: [RT] function sources
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:52:20 GMT
On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:23 AM, Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Miles Elam wrote:
>> Try this on for size:
>> <map:match type="regexp" pattern="document-(\d+)">
>>   <map:generate type="file" src="mytemplate.jx"/>
>>   <map:transform type="jxtemplatetransformer" src="getDocument({1})"/>
>>   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>> </map:match>
> Hmm what did you mean by that? JXTT is not parametrizable with src so
> did you mean:
>
> <map:match type="regexp" pattern="document-(\d+)">
>   <map:generate type="jx" src="getDocument({1})"/>
>   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
> </map:match>

No, my example was a hypothetical, not based on current code.

>> What if there was an alternate scripting contract?  One that instead
>> of requiring a sendPage, sendPageAndWait or redirect-to call,
>> requires that *none* of these exist in the code path and that an
>> object context is returned like the parameter of the sendPage*
>> functions.
>> function getDocument (docid) {
>>   var myObject;
>>   //
>>   // *** hypothetical Hibernate call with a lookup via docid,
>>   // assignment to myObject and other sundry details ***
>>   //
>>   return myObject;
>> }
> something like this was already possible when it was not required for
> the flowscript function to invoke sendPage or sendPageAndWait. Then
> you could do something like:
>
> <map:match pattern="someUri">
>   <map:call function="myFunction">
>     <!-- the function stores result in request attribute -->
>     <map:generate src="request-attr:mydata" type="jx"/>
>     <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>   </map:call>
> </map:match>

No, that's not what I mean.  That is subverting an existing contract.
I don't want to alter the map:call syntax at all.  It is great the way
it is.  I'm talking about establishing a new scripting contract -- a
separate contract -- one that specifically forbids the use of
sendPage*() and redirect-to().

> This is like the function was an action really (which I found kind of
> nice for fasst scripting actions - I usually used XSPs for that one
> but the startup time was killing me, syntax also).
>
> Now this call wouldn't succeed. Every call to a function must result
> with sendPage.

With the current flowscript, yes.  Once again, talking about a
different contract.  I'm talking about finding some middle ground
between a continuation-based flow model and the piecemeal
sitemap/action model.  In other words, the ease of writing flow --
which let's face it, is much more convenient than writing an action --
with a reduction of scope where redirection is not possible, only data
gathering.

I proposed the "src" attribute as a data vector because (a) that is an
accepted data source input point, (b) a sitemap component would have to
be rewritten anyway to take advantage, mitigating the action
alternative, and (c) it's easier for users to conceptualize while
simultaneously respecting SoC.  For a quick "get-in-get-out" problem,
this would work.  Once they need to go to multiple pages and alternate
outputs, they graduate to map:call and the continuation model; They
switch to a different contract that fits their needs.

This would also serve as an easy introductory alternative to XSPs.  Not
only does it respect SoC better than XSPs (which don't respect it at
all), but the code reuse in flow would be a boon as well.  Continuation
code could call the simple data gathering function they've already
written.  The developer simply cannot write a simple data gathering
function that calls continuation code.  It's a fail-fast model where
the developer knows very quickly that they're doing something wrong.
It's also a more natural transition from the simple publishing model to
the interactive data processing model.

Function sources are a very specific, directed option unlike the use of
an action.  With an action -- let's say an action was made to make
non-exiting/non-continuation function calls -- you are talking about
more complexity and far more side effects since the flow changes would
still need to be made, a sitemap component would still need to be
retrofitted, the sitemap would be harder to read, the sitemap syntax
wouldn't necessarily tell you which components would be consuming the
action's info, etc.  Also, what is the use case for data injection that
spans multiple components but only injects the same content?  The
actions I've found the most useful are the resource-exists and the
authentication/authorization actions.  These dynamically alter the
structure of the pipeline.  The actions which have historically
provided information have for the most part been subsumed into input
modules.  Why?  My take on it was that use of actions for content
gathering muddied the sitemap semantics and required all sorts of
{../../../1} configuration headaches.

<map:transform type="foo" src="getBar({1})"/>

Simple, descriptive, and limited in scope.  But the exact syntax is
IMHO irrelevant.  It's the concept I'm more concerned about.  If it
were a comma separated list like

<map:transform type="foo" src="getBar,{1}"/>

or considered another input source

<map:transform type="foo" src="func://getBar/{1}"/>

or parameters were specific to the transformer

<map:transform type="foo" src="getBar">
   <map:param name="src-param1" value="{1}"/>
</map:transform>

...although I can't say I cared for the last two.  The second to last
is ripe for URI abuse.  The only major issue with the first two is that
commas become reserved characters.

- Miles Elam