cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:58:10 GMT
Jonas Ekstedt wrote:

> * I would really appreciate comments on exception handling as I don't
>
>really know what is considered best practices.

To my mind, the "best practice" is telling the user what was wrong, in a
clear and precise way. Take for example an error a colleague had today:
Right in the midst of jexl code, he had a NPE. I sat with him for 20
minutes hunting, only to find that he was doing <jx:forEach> on an
object that wasn't a collection. Now why didn't it say "you can only use
forEach on collection objects"?

JXTemplate is pretty awful in this way, in terms of its error reporting
(or lack thereof). A replacement that has error handling and reporting
built in from the ground up (including location details in the original
file - get that info into your compiled scripts), would be a huge leap
forwards in Cocoon usability.

>* What does JX stand for?

Based upon JXPath (or that's what I assume).

Regards, Upayavira