cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question and Suggessions about forms block in 2.1.6
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:12:45 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>>> and makes the output widget obsolete? We had this in mind since a
>>> long time ... e.g. at
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108301315200002&r=1&w=4.
>>>

>> Mmmh... for sure that obsoletes the output _styling_.
>

> Not the styling itself, but writing <fi:styling type="output"/> in the
> template. Or am I wrong?

That's exactly what I'm talking about :-)

> This hint is now added by the FormsTransformer, isn't it?

Nono, the state is transmitted as a "state" attribute, i.e. <fi:field
id="blah" state="disabled"> (the "output" state doesn't exist yet).

>> The output widget is equivalent to <fd:field state="output"> with the
>> difference that an output can never be modified by the user, even by
>> changing its state to active.
>>
>> So the output widget still has some use cases IMO.
>

> I don't see them. With user you mean CForms user, so a developer? A
> user of the web app can not change both at all.

> And for the developer:
> fd:output is just a subset of <fd:field state="output">, so all use
> cases can be done using the latter too.

Yes, but the output widget doesn't allow browser input by setting its
state to "active", which can happen on a field if its state is set to
"active".

> The remaining question is whether the output state allows more than
> the output widget does. Yes, it allows to change the state, but who
> does it? Whether a developer changes the field definition or the state
> in a flowscript - I don't see a difference.

Right, except that if for some obscure reason (a programming mistake?)
the flowscript sets the state of an <output> to "active", it won't
change the fact that it won't read its value on the request.

> It's the same role 'developer' doing it or do you discriminate both?

Well, there may be several "developer" :-)

Sylvain