cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] smaller root sitemap
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:13:00 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> While I agree that having a 40Kb sitemap is a bit much, I think you are
> attacking the wrong problem.  If you look at the default sitemap (i.e. the
> one built with the default properties), the first 700+ lines are
> configuration and only the last 180 are pipeline definitions.  To be
> honest, its never been clear to me why configuration of generators,
> actions, etc. occurs in the sitemap as opposed to cocoon.xconf.

Here we go again :-) ...this comes up every now and then
...but I tend to agree

IMHO it's ok when you wanna override them in a sub-sitemap.
But I also think that for the root sitemap the configuration
should go into the cocoon.xconf.

Although the question is if this helps the readability of
the cocoon.xconf

> Frankly, I'd rather see a cocoon.xconf in every directory that has a
> sitemap.xmap. The sitemap would only have the pipelines.  Cocoon.xconf
> would have the generators, actions, etc. + stuff that should be configured
> only when a sitemap is entered for the first time.

Hm... from a SoC POV you are probably right ...although I am still not
sure if I like that idea.

But one thing is for sure a pain ...removing all the crap from
the default sitemap as well as the cocoon.xconf when you start
a new project is no fun.

Not sure if the "we wanna show all what's available"-approach
helps users to find their way more easily.

...maybe some javadoc-like documentation (with the frames) would help.
You select the component that you would like to use and you get a
description as well as a sitemap snippet you can insert into your
very basic sitemap/cocoon.xconf.

...just a RT

cheers
--