cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] smaller root sitemap
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:25:19 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I think having a 40Kb sitemap for a just a few pipelines scares people
> way and makes the learning curve steeper.
>
> here is my proposal for Cocoon 2.2:
>
>  1) move the current webapp/sitemap.xmap into webapp/WEB-INF/sitemap.xmap
>
>  2) make the sitemaps inherit from that one instead than from root
>
>  3) obviously, in case webapp/WEB-INF/sitemap.xmap is missing, fall
> back into the root one (for back compatibility)
>
> The result is that you can have a sitemap as simple a single pipeline
> definition and it's much easier for people to just attack and modify
> without being scared away by the complexity of the whole thing.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, for a reduced root sitemap, but maybe not the way you propose it.

What I don't like currently is that a lot of blocks use the xconfpatch
task to insert their own stuff in the root sitemap. IMO this is bad, and
block-specific components should only be present in block-specific
sitemaps. That's a first step towards reduction.

Now, about the WEB-INF/sitemap.xmap: this is a good idea to have some
"system-defined" sitemap components, but it's not properly speaking a
sitemap since it should define only components and no pipelines.

If you relate this to my earlier proposal of splitting the xconf file,
that would mean we'll have a sitemap-builtins.xconf in WEB-INF along
with the other xconf snippets. And the block-specific xconf files could
also bring not only system-level components, but also sitemap
components. For example, the "database" block would bring in its
"database-block.xconf" not only the datasources, input/output modules,
but also the SQLTransformer.

How does that sound?

Sylvain