cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Planning Cocoon's future
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:03:59 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> After releasing Cocoon 2.1.6 it's time to plan our future. A few month
> ago we
> updated our roadmap in SVN. According to this we agreed that 2.2 is a
> consolidated version of 2.1.
> So what are the changes and what's their current status?
> (based on xdocs/plan/roadmap.xml)
>  - stable Cocoon Forms
>    the status is summarizes by Sylvain[1]

I need to invest more time into this...

>  - Virtual Sitemap Components
>    Vadim started with the implementation

You have also to consider my "multi-relative" sourceresolving RT

>  - inheritable views
>    don't know the status (I think Carsten is/was working on it)

Inheritable views should come as a fee bonus with VSCs, as views can
simply be turned into virtual serializers.

>  - deprecate XSP
>    to be done (needs an alternative)

Deprecate? It's not mainstream, but used a lot in many places. The risk
if XSPs are deprecated and then removed is that people will start using
JSPGenerator to write quickly some custom generator, which IMO would be
a very bad thing.

>    Daniel, are you working on a JXTG 2.0?
>  - Cleaning up the caching/store mess
>    don't know, does it work now as it should?
>  - separate blocks from Core
>    that's my job: I'm working on a block-builder and a block-deployer
>    that will make this separation possible and will give us the chance
>    of a smooth transition from our current monolytic system to a
> decentral
>    blocks orientated system:
>       * every block get's a descriptor containing all meta information
> like
>         author, license, status, block references and library references
>         --> should as close as possible to the needs of RealBlocks
>       * enhance jars.xml to become a repository (only needs an id
> attribute
>         for all entries so they can be references and looked up)
>       * setup the new block centric build system parallel to the
> existing one
>       * when everything works fine and a vote is passed,
>         the old build system will be removed
>       * move blocks into [svn]/cocoon/blocks --> blocks are
> independant units
>         with their own lifecycle

I hadn't had a chance yet to look at your job, but had some random
thoughts about an easier handling of blocks, buy simply allowing
cocoon.roles and cocoon.xconf to be split in several smaller files:
- the role manager could search all "cocoon.roles" files present in the
classpath to build the main role manager
- the root component manager could assemble all *.xconf files present in

That way, a "block" (better named a "module") would be composed of a
xxx.jar containing a cocoon.roles snippet, and a xxx.xcconf configuring
that block's component definition. Adding/removing a module from Cocoon
would then simply a matter of moving around these two files.

>  - reduce Cocoon core to a minimum
>    to be done
>  - versioning guide
>    done for Ccooon core; needs enhancements because of the more
>    independant blocks and their own lifecycles
>  - rethink our distribution policy
>    with the new block building system we can distribute Cocoon as
> binary again;
>    we have to decide which blocks are part of an official Cocoon
> distribution
>  - new documentation system
>    consider the efforts on users list and restructure the docs;
>    separation of blocks also requires splitting up the docs
> Could people knowing more about those points give some feedback?
> Anything else open for 2.2?
> So let's talk about a schedule ...
> ----------------------------------
> Many things are already done. Open issues that may take longer are:
>  - VirtualSitemapCompoents
>  - stabelize cForms
>  - new block building and deploying mechanism (+ transition see above)
>  - docs
>  - clean up
> The first three tasks have to be done before we can release a
> contract-stable
> Cocoon 2.2 beta1. I plan to have implemented deployer and builder by
> the end of
> January. Then we could release a beta1 in February ;-)  Is this a
> realistic
> timeframe for others, especially those who work on cForms (Sylvain,
> Tim) and
> virtualComponents (Vadim)?
> Cocoon 2.3
> ----------
> To make it short: I want Cocoon 2.3 be based on whiteboard/kernel.
> AFAIK the
> implementation of kernel is stable and "only" needs to be merged with
> ECM.
> Are there any reasons not to make Pier's kernel the official base of
> Cocoon 2.3? If not, Pier should have the "permission" to move its
> kernel into an offical 2.3 directory in  our SVN whenever he thinks
> it's time for it. (... I prepare a vote after the discussion)

If the kernel is stable, should it really be 2.3 or can it be 2.2?

> Cocoon 2.1
> As being said, we expect further patch rleases (2.1.7 and 2.1.8),
> especially after cForms has become stable.
> release date of 2.1.7 (with or without a stable cForms block):
> February 2005?

Maybe earlier?