cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planning Cocoon's future
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:02:39 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> After releasing Cocoon 2.1.6 it's time to plan our future. A few
>> month ago we
>> updated our roadmap in SVN. According to this we agreed that 2.2 is a
>> consolidated version of 2.1.
>>
>> So what are the changes and what's their current status?
>

> <snip/>
>
>>  - deprecate XSP
>>    to be done (needs an alternative)
>>    Daniel, are you working on a JXTG 2.0?
>

> No, not yet. I sumarized my view of the results of the discussion this
> far in a previous mail:
>
>> The conclusion was IIRC, that we like JXTG but not it's
>> implementation (to large and scary) and that we need the ability to
>> add custom tags. The implementation would be easier to follow and
>> more reusable if the object model was factored out (using Carsten's
>> TemplateObjectHelper), factoring out the expression language and
>> possibly make it plugable and writing the tags as custom tags.
>>
>> We don't want to complicate life for the users (and ourselves) by
>> differ from JXTG whithout very good reasons, and in that case we
>> should deprecate the things that we don't like. So the "new" template
>> generator should include the JXTG tags.
>

> The main question now IMO is what tag framework we should base JXTG
> 2.0 on. The candidates that has been mentioned this far are: Jelly,
> the taglib, Carsten's taglib and Jonas taglib (are there more
> alternatives). I discussed Jelly with Carsten and the conclusion was
> that it doesn't fit that well in Cocoon. I don't know Carsten's plans
> for his taglib. Jonas need to some advertising of his taglib and
> explain how it relates to the alternatives.

Sorry, I don't understand here: taglib is a transformer whereas JXTG is
a generator (the JXT Transformer is basically the JXTG reading its input
from the incoming stream rather than a source), which allows to cache
the compiled template. Can the taglib transformer be turned into a
generator (I guess yes), and use some template caching?

Sylvain