cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Planning Cocoon's future
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:51:07 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> After releasing Cocoon 2.1.6 it's time to plan our future. A few month
> ago we
> updated our roadmap in SVN. According to this we agreed that 2.2 is a
> consolidated version of 2.1.
>
> So what are the changes and what's their current status?

<snip/>

>  - deprecate XSP
>    to be done (needs an alternative)
>    Daniel, are you working on a JXTG 2.0?

No, not yet. I sumarized my view of the results of the discussion this
far in a previous mail:

> The conclusion was IIRC, that we like JXTG but not it's implementation
> (to large and scary) and that we need the ability to add custom tags.
> The implementation would be easier to follow and more reusable if the
> object model was factored out (using Carsten's TemplateObjectHelper),
> factoring out the expression language and possibly make it plugable
> and writing the tags as custom tags.
>
> We don't want to complicate life for the users (and ourselves) by
> differ from JXTG whithout very good reasons, and in that case we
> should deprecate the things that we don't like. So the "new" template
> generator should include the JXTG tags.

The main question now IMO is what tag framework we should base JXTG 2.0
on. The candidates that has been mentioned this far are: Jelly, the
taglib, Carsten's taglib and Jonas taglib (are there more alternatives).
I discussed Jelly with Carsten and the conclusion was that it doesn't
fit that well in Cocoon. I don't know Carsten's plans for his taglib.
Jonas need to some advertising of his taglib and explain how it relates
to the alternatives.

For the taglib I have not been able to find any documentation of how it
works and the design behind it (any pointers?), and have not found time
to read the code. Vadim used it in the faces block so it is probably
reasonably good. Vadim, can you (and other users of taglib), tell about
your experience from using it?

IMHO, if the taglib is good enough, the best approach for JXTG 2.0 would
be to refactor the JXTG tags to taglib tags, factor out the object model
and make the expression language plugable.

WDYT?

/Daniel