cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Bloch <bl...@laszlosystems.com>
Subject question about jar conflicts/java class loading conflicts
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:34:23 GMT
Hey there,

I'm a developer on another Java open source project and I've noticed
that cocoon shares some similar problems with our project.

In particular, delployments of our webapp see a variety of different and
sometimes _very_ difficult to understand class-loading conflicts in
different servlet containers.

And we'd like to come to some real solution to avoid these in the
future.  I'm wondering if cocoon developers have any good advice here.

FYI, we are actually considering re-building the java classes in *every*
external jar we'd put in our web app's WEB-INF directory and
name-spacing *every* external class with our namepsace, but this is
costly in terms of maintenance  and is non-trivial with code that does
reflection, etc...

We've also considered writing our own class-loader but we think this
won't solve the problem (and could make it worse, in fact).

Any good advice?

-Eric
bloch@laszlosystems.com

ps... our project is described at http://openlaszlo.org