cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:54:10 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> On 10.11.2004 12:15, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> AFAICS we don't need the formatCache in a convertion component, each
>>> convertor will only be needed to be defined once. The
>>> generateSaxFragment is also somewhat specific for my taste, I wonder
>>> if that is part of the convertion concern. Furthermore it has an
>>> empty implementation in all the convertors within CForms, so it is
>>> hard to see what it is supposed to be good for.
>>

>> One exception:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/trunk/src/blocks/forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/datatype/convertor/FormattingDateConvertor.java?rev=56582&view=markup

> Wasn't carefull enough when I browsed the code obviously.
>
>> The convertor params might be needed in the output as it is the case
>> for the DateConvertor. The pattern will be reused in the HTML output
>> for the calendar widget.
>

> I see, for the variant part the most popular idea in the discussion
> have  been for the view to ask for what variant (presentation class)
> to use. E.g. ${$date#datetime}, meaning give me a string
> representation of the object in the $date variable using the current
> locale and the presentation class datetime. As the presentation class
> is decided in the view template, the template writer can make that
> info available for the stylesheet also, if needed.
>
> For the pattern info I don't know. Is it really a user friendly to
> present Java date formating pattern info? The difference between M, MM
> and MMM or between h and H isn't that obvious for the user I would
> believe. Maybe one could use I18N catalogues instead and get something
> a little bit more readable.

The date pattern is used on the client-side by the calendar widget which
has the very good idea to use SimpleDateFormat's pattern syntax
(actually, this is one of the reasons that made me choose this
calendar). So (fortunately!) the user doesn't see it :-)

Having the datatype output an XML fragment is the first step towards
client-side syntactical validation.

Sylvain