cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JSR-168 Portlets
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:28:44 GMT
DURDINA Michal wrote:

> There might be some change in Tomcat. We are using Tomcat 4.1.27 and
> know nothing about Tomcat 5, but in Tomcat 4.1 classloader hierarchy
> is as of:
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>
>>>From the picture there it is evident that "shared/lib" should be "good enough"
placement for all libraries that should be shared between deployed web applications (portal.war
+ portlet.war). Only libraries that need to be "visible" also from container (cataline) should
be placed to "common/lib". Example for this can be custom Pricipal object shared between custom
authentication realm (that instantiate it) and web application (that is reading it).

The doc for 5.0 says the same thing.  But it didn't work.  Moreover, I
was able to find a post on the Tomcat mailing list (with no response)
asking why shared/lib didn't work.  I'm just upset because I spent the
last 3 days trying to figure out what in Cocoon or Pluto was broken and
how to fix it.  The fact that I was getting a ClassNotFoundException for
a pluto class when trying to instantiate PortletPortalManager never made
sense to me, but I just assumed I was wrong.

I also changed the name of the servlet class in web.xml to something
that didn't exist by accident. Tomcat then very nicely dumped a list of
all the jars and classes in its class loaders. shared/lib and
shared/classes aren't listed.

Ralph