cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JSR-168 Portlets
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:18:36 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>I did get it running in Tomcat with just the Pluto libs in
>lib/shared and it worked - it's a long time ago....
>
>Now, the better way imho would be if the portlets would
>run "inside of Cocoon" rather than "inside of Tomcat".
>So, you deploy your portlet wars into your Cocoon war
>(or a totally different place) and you don't have to deploy
>the portlets as usual web applications in your servlet
>engine. I think this should be possible, but of course
>needs some work to be done.
>
>Apart from that, if you have any issues/questions/suggestions
>about Pluto, just asked on the pluto mailing list ;)
>
>Carsten

Well, I like the idea of deploying them inside of Cocoon. I'm not sure
why the Portlet spec says they should be web apps.

But I have good news.  I was able to get a portlet to work with the
portlet deployed as a war file and I didn't have to change any code.  I
simply put the pluto and portlet-api jars in Tomcat's common/lib
directory instead of shared/lib and that got rid of the
ClassNotFoundException.  I guess there is either a bug in Tomcat or I am
not reading their documentation properly.

Ralph