cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:37:28 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 10.11.2004 12:15, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> AFAICS we don't need the formatCache in a convertion component, each
>> convertor will only be needed to be defined once. The
>> generateSaxFragment is also somewhat specific for my taste, I wonder
>> if that is part of the convertion concern. Furthermore it has an empty
>> implementation in all the convertors within CForms, so it is hard to
>> see what it is supposed to be good for.
>
> One exception:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/trunk/src/blocks/forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/datatype/convertor/FormattingDateConvertor.java?rev=56582&view=markup

Wasn't carefull enough when I browsed the code obviously.

> The convertor params might be needed in the output as it is the case for
> the DateConvertor. The pattern will be reused in the HTML output for the
> calendar widget.

I see, for the variant part the most popular idea in the discussion have
  been for the view to ask for what variant (presentation class) to use.
E.g. ${$date#datetime}, meaning give me a string representation of the
object in the $date variable using the current locale and the
presentation class datetime. As the presentation class is decided in the
view template, the template writer can make that info available for the
stylesheet also, if needed.

For the pattern info I don't know. Is it really a user friendly to
present Java date formating pattern info? The difference between M, MM
and MMM or between h and H isn't that obvious for the user I would
believe. Maybe one could use I18N catalogues instead and get something a
little bit more readable.

/Daniel