cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject JSR-168 Portlets
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:39:43 GMT
I have been working for the last 2 days trying to figure out how to get
JSR-168 portlets, packaged as their own webapp, to work with the Cocoon
portal.  Has anyone ever gotten this to work?  I have come to the
conclusion that, due to the design of Pluto, it is not realistically
possible.

The problem I am seeing is that Pluto has a couple of singleton classes
that it needs to share between the Portal webapp (i.e. Cocoon) and the
portlet webapp. This requires that the pluto jar file be placed in
Tomcat's shared/lib directory.  However, because Tomcat places the
WEB-INF/lib above shared/lib in the class loader chain any Cocoon
classes that reference pluto classes will get a ClassNotFoundException
unless they are also placed in shared lib.  Needless to say, this will
end up with all of Cocoon and everything it uses in shared/lib in short
order.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't understand why Pluto has
to require the singleton classes.  It would make more sense to me for
Pluto to store references to the singleton objects in ServletContext
attributes and then anchor those into a singleton in the Portlet webapp
when Pluto's PortletServlet is entered.

Comments?

Ralph