cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@apache.org>
Subject [cli] Problem / Question with context directory needing to be writable
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:06:05 GMT
Hi all,

Over in the Forrest world, we've stumbled across an issue with the
Cocoon CLI. It appears that the CLI requires that the context directory
(--contextDir option to the cocoon cli) be writable by the CLI process.
For reference, see http://issues.cocoondev.org//browse/FOR-356

The Use Case
------------
This applies to any Cocoon CLI based application that can be run as a
servlet as well.  I'll just use Forrest as the example case.

Forrest is installed on a multiuser system with the intent that multiple
users will be running the application.

The Problem
-----------
User runs "forrest run" which runs Forrest in a local servlet container
(jetty) as a live application.  This works just fine.

User runs "forrest site" which uses the Cocoon CLI and is presented with
a Cocoon error about the context directory not being readable/writable.
  The context directory is certainly readable.  It is not writable tho.

The stack-trace is as follows:
ERROR   2004-11-11 18:32:20.353 [        ] (): Directory '.' is not
readable/writable
Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Directory '.' is not
readable/writable
         at
org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.getDir(CocoonWrapper.java:253)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:106)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:98)
at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:320)

The Question
------------
Since the local servlet instance works fine with the context directory
being non-writable, I'm wondering if there is some requirement that the
context directory is writable when running the Cocoon CLI?

If the answer is "no, there is no requirement that the context directory
is writable by the Cocoon CLI", I'll open an issue in bugzilla and
provide a patch.  (I'm hoping this is the case since making the context
directory for Cocoon writable to all users doesn't leave me with a warm
fuzzy feeling. :)

--
Rick Tessner
rick@apache.org