cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Scratchpad Dependencies
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:49:24 GMT
I planed to use some stuff in scratchpad for development. As I have a
slow computer at home I always remove all blocks that I don't need to
decrase compile time and startup time.

The tree below describe everything that the scratchpad block depend on.
And this is without samples dependencies. 18 dependencies!!!

scratchpad
   axis
   cron
   faces
     portal
       authentication-fw
         session-fw
           xsp
       html
       session-fw
         xsp
     taglib
   javaflow
     forms
     ojb
       databases
         xsp
   repository
     databases
       xsp
     eventcache
       jms
         hsqldb
   velocity
   xsp

Hopefully some of them are just sample dependencies and can be removed.
I have no fancy IDE, so I didn't succeed in tracking down all the
dependencies. Especially I wonder about the dependency on faces, where
comes that from?

But anyway the scratchpad start to become quite heavy. IMHO there are a
lot of things in the scratchpad that would suit better as unstable
blocks e.g. Garbage, the Cocoon Ant task, caching source, flow
webservices, groovy, sitemap viewer and maybe some more.

Maybe there are some components that could graduate to core and some
other that never lead anywhere and can be removed.

IMHO the scratchpad block should mainly be for isolated components that
preferably only depends on core. As soon as there are a number of
components that cooperates or have some common theme or introduces a lot
of dependencies, they would better be packaged as a block, IMHO.

Maybe we should have a special directory for scratchpad blocks. Or maybe
we could even have some mechanism that would make it easy to use
scratchpad blocks that lives in the whiteboard directory.

WDYT?

/Danielf