cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Problem in session-fw / RequestContext
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:55:02 GMT
Hi,

We just came across a very annoying problem in session-fw: the
RequestContext class creates a DOM which represents the full contents of
a request, translating all request attributes to XML elements having names.

Now when the session transformer is called by a flowscript, there's a
request attribute whose name is "FOM JavaScript GLOBAL
SCOPE/file://my/path/to/flow/script.js" which is obviously an invalid
name for an XML element and leads to a nice DOMException :-(

I added a quick'n dirty workaround (just catch the exception) as we need
it to work and have a tight schedule, but there are IMO two problems there:
- we cannot assume request nor session attributes names are valid XML
element names,
- building a complete DOM representing the full request (headers,
cookies, parameters, attributes, etc, etc) seems really overkill when
most uses will just extract a single data. It makes me think to the old
days of Cocoon 1. Using some lazy instanciation techniques would really
speedup the thing and lower memory consumption.

Sylvain