cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:38:22 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 07.11.2004 22:22, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>>> That's the way we did it until now too. But all with only one view.
>>> What's your experience when supporting your multiple views? An
>>> additional needed field in one of your forms should result in
>>> editing so many views or isn't it?
>>

>> I'm not sure I understand the last question. We use a lot of
>> "preference" data (i.e. configuration) to allow a single use case to
>> use the same xslts across the board. The preferences allow the view
>> to change dramatically.
>

> Sample: You have an object, that can be viewed and edited. This object
> will be extended by adding a further required field when editing it
> and would be of interest when viewing it. How much effort do you need
> to update all the views that reference it? To what degree can you
> reuse your views?
> For such a change CForms is really bad. I had to update definitions,
> bindings, template so often!

That's for this kind of use case that I added the ability to set
attributes in the widget definition. We have some use cases where
generic templates are used that iterate on the children of a container
(struct, form or repeater) and layout those widgets that have a
particular attribute. That way, a single page template can be used for
different form models, or also adapt to model changes.

Sylvain