cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [rfc] commons fileupload replacement
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:56:42 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have provided a patch [1] that removes cocoon's multipart upload
> parser with one based on commons-fileupload.
>
> My approach breaks existing client code however, so Antonio suggested to
> get a few more opinions before continueing.
>
> 1) Part, PartOnDisk, PartInMemory are not necessary anymore. They are
> replaced by the FileItem interface of commons fileupload. It should be
> doable to wrap the FileItems in a Part class as suggested by Reinhard
> (with a slight change to the contract, see  [1] ) .

PartOnDisk and PartInMemory are particular implementations of the
general Part contract. An application can rely on obtaining a Part, but
cannot expect to have a particular implementation of it if it aims to be
truly independent of the deployment environment.

However, testing for "instanceof PartOnDisk" may allow for performance
improvements by allowing the application to move around a file rather
than reading it and writing it in another location. Commons upload takes
a different approach for this with the "write(File)" method that
abstracts this. We could add this convenience method to Part to avoid
the above-mentioned "instanceof" test.

So my opinion is that we should have a "CommonsUploadPart" that
implements the original Part contract. Especially important is the
"disposeWithRequest" stuff that is used by CForms: the default is to
automatically trash uploaded content when a request ends, but the CForms
upload widget can "detach" a Part from the requests so that uploaded
content survives across continuation calls.

> 2) web.xml parameter "overwrite-uploads" is gone. Instead, we need a
> parameter like "where-to-store-uploads" with values "disk" or "memory".
> In addition to this (not included in the patch) commons-fileupload
> offers a "threshold" for memory based storage, files larger than the
> threshold will get written to disk anyway - we don't *have* to use this
> however.
>
> 3) There is no replacement for getHeaders() in Part.java.

Mmmh... let's keep it and map it the headers provided as methods in
FileItem (content-type, length, etc).

> The nice thing to do would be to deprecate the Part classes, and wrap
> the FileItem interface inside Part for 2.1.6. , remove Part in 2.1.7?

Rather than deprecating Part, we should maybe move it to
o.a.c.environment, as multipart requests can exist in environments other
than servlets (i.e. SMTP).

Sylvain