cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:04:00 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> So your view is more data-driven? We had this in our first Cocoon
> project Lofex. We had an XML representing the data from the model and
> XSLT to transform it into HTML (but no configuration how to or what to
> display, just one XSLT per page). May I ask for more details on your
> approach. One possible problem I see for a
> all-and-everything-presentation layer is the decision "how much to put
> into one page", e.g. for mobile phones. Do you just not need this or
> how do you have it solved?
>
> I'm interested in it because I write my diploma thesis exactly about
> this topic at the moment. I come to the conclusion that MVC more or
> less can not work - and especially templates! I switched back to a
> similar solution to the mentioned Lofex one (i.e. application-driven)
> but with a more sophisticated model than just the data of the
> application as it was for Lofex. It's build on the pattern
> "Presentation Abstraction Control" I read first about in German
> Javamagazin 09/2004.

I doubt we would use the same XSLTs if our target was a different
device.  We would probably have a whole different set for mobile phones
because the stylesheets would probably have very little in common.. This
wouldn't be too big a problem for us.  Our main goal is not to have a
unique stylesheet for every site.

Basically, we have a bunch of configuration data in an LDAP repository.
That data contains the configuration information for one site.  A
generator then converts that data into an XML document that is
aggregated together with our DTO data.  The stylesheets then use the
data from the model (the DTO) along with the configuration to figure out
how to layout the page and what the content should be.  This is a
simplified version of what happens, but hopefully you get the idea.

Ralph