cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 01:28:25 GMT
On 08.11.2004 21:24, Ralph Goers wrote:

>>Sample: You have an object, that can be viewed and edited. This object
>>will be extended by adding a further required field when editing it and
>>would be of interest when viewing it. How much effort do you need to
>>update all the views that reference it? To what degree can you reuse
>>your views?
>>For such a change CForms is really bad. I had to update definitions,
>>bindings, template so often!
>
> I see where we are not connecting.  In my case the issue is not that a lot
> of views need to be modified when an object changes. It is that a single
> use case can have many views.  In this case, we have a single xslt (or a
> few) that uses parameters to determine what to display and how to do it.

So your view is more data-driven? We had this in our first Cocoon
project Lofex. We had an XML representing the data from the model and
XSLT to transform it into HTML (but no configuration how to or what to
display, just one XSLT per page). May I ask for more details on your
approach. One possible problem I see for a
all-and-everything-presentation layer is the decision "how much to put
into one page", e.g. for mobile phones. Do you just not need this or how
do you have it solved?

I'm interested in it because I write my diploma thesis exactly about
this topic at the moment. I come to the conclusion that MVC more or less
can not work - and especially templates! I switched back to a similar
solution to the mentioned Lofex one (i.e. application-driven) but with a
more sophisticated model than just the data of the application as it was
for Lofex. It's build on the pattern "Presentation Abstraction Control"
I read first about in German Javamagazin 09/2004.

Joerg