cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:00:35 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> This is an interesting idea, which could be even more useful if the
>>> convertors were able not only to produce strings, but also XML
>>> snippets for output-only data. For example, we may want an email
>>> address to be rendered as a <a href="mailto.."> or negative numbers
>>> being displayed in red, or enclosed in parenthesis.
>>>
>>> What that means is that a convertor should be able to do the
>>> following conversions:
>>> - string+locale --> object : parsing request parameters
>>> - object+locale --> string : producing the value of an input
>>> - object+locale+channel --> xml fragment : producing the output view
>>> for a particular channel (html, wap, fo, etc).
>>

>> If I would be able to choose convertors in the template (I mean on the
>> same page render model entry in plain text and pretty printed) it
>> would solve a LOT of my rendering problems. If convertors were
>> pluggable I could also choose which convertor I would like to use in
>> template itself.
>> How would this converters be plugged into template language? As
>> components in cocoon.xconf?
>

> Don't know yet. This is a [RT]! Maybe JXTG snippets for the
> object+local+channel --> xml fragment conversion?

Reminds me of XMLizer component. The only difference is, instead of InputStream
it should work on arbitrary objects:

public interface XMLizer {
     String ROLE = XMLizer.class.getName();

     /**
      * Generates SAX events from the given object
      */
     void toSAX(Object object,
(*)            String mimeType,
                String systemID,
                ContentHandler handler)
         throws SAXException, IOException;
}

(*) Instead of mimeType some other kind of parameter might be needed

Vadim