cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <>
Subject [Fwd: Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?]
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:29:23 GMT
FYI, Terence Parr (the StringTemplate & ANTLR author) just sent this to
me.  Thought the list would find this interesting....

-------- Original Message --------
From: Terence Parr <>
Subject: Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:32:10 -0800
Please do, Tony. :)

I'm very pleased you liked my article.  I strive to write stuff that
resonates with practicing coders while staying fairly rigorous. :)

ST is incredibly simple on the outside (the implementation is a bit
involved of course), which is the way it should be.  There are
essentially 4 operations of interest: ref attribute, ref another
template (possibly recursively), conditional inclusion, apply template
to attribute.  That is sufficient power to generate essentially any
page. :)

On Nov 4, 2004, at 11:18 AM, Tony Collen wrote:

> Terence Parr wrote:
>> Hi Tony,
>> Thanks for mentioned StringTemplate to the cocoon folks.  I believe
>> somebody has mentioned that previously.  Anyhoo, naturally you will
>> have my support if cocoon decides to use it.  ANTLR / StringTemplate
>> are my full time job as a prof (well, when I'm not torturing
>> students) and I have been supporting ANTLR for 15 years. :)  Have no
>> fear that I will be around to support StringTemplate.
>> As for xml-izing, it's a simple matter of hooking an XML parser on
>> the back end; sax / dom stuff.  For example, in the following article
>> I generate xml, which you could suck in via xerces or whatever to get
>> a real tree back.  ST is a tiny little ~100k jar that is just a
>> component / tool for people to hook into their existing systems. :)
>> Most users will only see/use 2 Java classes ever.
> Wow! thanks for the reply!  Do you mind if i forward this to the
> cocoon-dev list?
> Tony
Creator, ANTLR Parser Generator,
Cofounder, enjoy email again!