cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:22:38 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> This is an interesting idea, which could be even more useful if the
>> convertors were able not only to produce strings, but also XML
>> snippets for output-only data. For example, we may want an email
>> address to be rendered as a <a href="mailto.."> or negative numbers
>> being displayed in red, or enclosed in parenthesis.
>>
>> What that means is that a convertor should be able to do the
>> following conversions:
>> - string+locale --> object : parsing request parameters
>> - object+locale --> string : producing the value of an input
>> - object+locale+channel --> xml fragment : producing the output view
>> for a particular channel (html, wap, fo, etc).
>
> If I would be able to choose convertors in the template (I mean on the
> same page render model entry in plain text and pretty printed) it
> would solve a LOT of my rendering problems. If convertors were
> pluggable I could also choose which convertor I would like to use in
> template itself.
>
> Lovely

:-) More polish beer!!!

> How would this converters be plugged into template language? As
> components in cocoon.xconf?

Don't know yet. This is a [RT]! Maybe JXTG snippets for the
object+local+channel --> xml fragment conversion?

> About syntax in JXTG: Would
> ${convertor-name:expression:formatting-info} be enough?

Or a more traditional function-like syntax: ${convert(expression,
optionalHint)} (the "optionalHint" allows to choose a convertor other
than the default one).

Sylvain