cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Re: Templating Engine - Next steps?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:14:56 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>E.) Use Jelly:
>>AFAIK Jelly allready solve most of the requirements above.
>>More specifically it uses JEXL or Jaxen as expression
>>language, and you can use expressions both in attributes and
>>in text with the syntax "${expr}". The expression engine is
>>pluggable, so one can implement an Expression interface and
>>use another expression language, JXPath e.g.
>>In Jelly there are simple mechanisms for writing own tag
>>libs. And a large number of tag libs are already implemented.
>>It read and writes SAX. It also have mechanisms for compiling
>>the template so that id doesn't need to be parsed again, if
>>used several times.
>Jelly has imho a very awkward design that has several problems
>when used in Cocoon - I looked at it some months ago and had some
>discussions with Jelly developers. I don't remember any details,
>but the result was that it isn't suitable to be used inside
>Cocoon. Ok, this is a very general statement without any proof,
>but that's all I can currently say. Other projects, like Maven,
>aren't happy with Jelly either.
>But you're right that it is a potential candidate to consider.
>Now, whoever does this job is free to decide :)
I have done some work on implementing a Jelly generator. Basically my
own versions of the JellyGenerator in scratchpad and your
TemplateObjectModelHelper, didn't know the existence of either of them :/

The most irritating problem that I have found this far is that it uses for uri handling which doesn't work that well together with
the Excialibur Sources in Cocoon.

After some searching I found that you didn't find it suitable for multi
threaded environment:, do you remember
what was the problem? Other problems?

View raw message