cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Eclipse warning concerning serializable classes
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:22:33 GMT
On Saturday 20 November 2004 08:16, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> No! "1" is not "The stream-unique identifier".

Vadim, I don't know where you get that 1L wouldn't work... But it does (and I
kind of know what I am talking about).

The serialVersionUID is used to determine the compatibility between a loaded
class and the serialized object of such class. There is not much more to it.

The serialver executable is provided so that you can figure out the
serialVerUID after the fact of releasing your code first time.

So, i.e. you can use any number you want, and your challenge is to figure out
when the number needs to be changed, i.e. serialization compatibility is no
longer possible.

To that effect, by not using writeObject()/readObject() it will indeed be
slightly more tricky to maintain the serialization compatibility. With those
methods, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain compatibitity almost forever.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /