cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jonas Ekstedt <ekst...@ibg.uu.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Rendering and CForms Convertors
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:56:39 GMT
On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 16:13 +0100, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Please submit your patch to Bugzilla so that it doesn't get lost among
> all the mails. See http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ProjectManagement for
> instructions. It is also good to have a Bugzilla entry so that you can
> add refinements to your code there.

I have wondered a bit about Bugzilla. Is it only supposed to be bug
fixes that appear there or are ideas okay as well. I thought it might
clutter the bug database if I introduced half finished stuff there.

> > Instead of the original RequestProcessor there is instead a
> > WidgetPopulator. It works similar in that it is added as an attribute to
> > the request in Form.js.
>
> Why is it added to the Request, wouldn't it be more natural to bind it
> to a variable in the flowscript instead?

True

> But as long as it is bounded to the widget hierarchy so that the widget
> hierarchy cannot be replaced by another model, does the widget populator
> by us something in its current form?

Well I think it is useful to some extent. With the WidgetPopulator you
can use JXTemplate to hide widgets instead of having to do it in flow
setting individual widget states. This way none of the proposed logic
widgets are needed (choose, when etc.).

Another way of doing the same, which I think was the agreed upon way to
do it is to populate all widgets that has a request parameter present.
This works out the same way with one little caveat. Some day someone is
going to do

<jx:if test="${user.role == 'admin'}">
  <ft:widget id="bigDangerousButton"/>
</jx:if>

and will be in for a mighty surprise. On the other hand, as has been
pointed out previously collecting widgets in a something like a
WidgetPopulator won't work unless you use flow.

// Jonas