cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Garulli <l.garu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Daisy as CMS: why don't use JDO?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:39:05 GMT
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:07:18 +0200, Ugo Cei <ugo@apache.org> wrote:
> Il giorno 14/ott/04, alle 11:08, Luca Garulli ha scritto:
>
> > Sorry but I didn't want to start a flame..
>
> I don't see any flamewar starting ;-)
>
> > If you use JDBC you had to develop the Object/Relational mapping for
> > your "persistent classes" !!! Let's use JDO and you don't worry about
> > OR mapping. Dot.
>
> I agree with the fact that it's better not to use JDBC directly. My GT
> presentation even had a slide (borrowed from Rod Johnson) whose title
> was "Why you should never use raw JDBC directly". And I couldn't agree
> more with the fact that it's *never* a good idea to develop your own
> O/R framework in-house.

Uao! At least one point in common :-D Do you know that Rod Johnson is
part (with me) of JSR 243 alias JDO 2.0?

> On the other hand, I use and recommend Hibernate, but I would never
> suggest that everyone start using Hibernate now and disregard all the
> other alternatives.

Ok, using Hibernate is a good starting point.

> WRT "standards", if a standard is what you want, why not use entity
> EJBs for persistence? That predates JDO and is much more "standard"
> than JDO. I am not sure if there's anyone around who still thinks
> entity beans are a good persistence mechanism ;-)

100% agreed. A standard became a "real and useful standard" when the
people start to using it.

I think that some people of this newsletter don't know enough JDO. JDO
has all the features of Hibernate, plus interesting features such as:
- one standard, many implementations! You can love one of these or to
hate another one. Just change it ;-)
- advanced and configurable fetching mechanisms
- speed: many impl. doesn't use reflection!

> Anyway, I think this was an interesting thread. No annoyance on my
> part, really.

Ok, I'm happy :-D

>         Ugo
>
> --
> Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

bye,
Luca Garulli
OrienTechnologies.com
(the light ODBMS, all in one JDO solution)